Thursday, December 1, 2011

What Inspires Me

A Happy 34th Wedding Anniversary

November 19, 2011 in Myrtle Beach, S.C. was a memorable day for Sheila and I. We returned to the spot where we vacationed one week before our first child, Justin, was born, to the beach where we sat and pondered the future... and where we finally decided on his name. It was a good day!

The name we chose, William Justin Williams, comes from my family line of William Williams, of which there are many, including my father and myself. The middle name was in honor of my mentor in dentistry, Dr. Justin Jones, the one who taught me the value of neuromuscular dentistry and to think outside the box as founding members of the Atlanta Craniomandibular Society. There is no doubt that Justin carries the DNA of great men in both name and spirit. Looking back into the ancestral pool, there are many merchants, ministers, businessmen, politicians and doctors. Justin himself graduated from the University of South Carolina in political science and is now studying film at The Music Institute in Los Angeles while living in Santa Monica, California. He drove across country this summer to begin the oddessy with his Yellow Lab, Moxin, and a friend from Atlanta. Already, he has filmed a Doritos commercial vying for the Super Bowl prize and been the 1st Assistant Director for a music video for an Italian pop star filmed on the streets of LA. The music video will be shown on MTV in Europe . Look for Justin's name to be in the credits on a TV or movie screen near you very soon. The original William Williams in the family signed the Declaration of Independence from the state of Connecticut and was revered as a law scholar and judge. We thought politics was where he would end up, but the allure of the west coast breezes seems to have caught his attention.

Early in my career, when I was in my first year of practice, a nice young girl came into the office with a tooth ache. She needed a root canal and I was able to complete it that day, and she always tells people now, painlessly or she would have never returned! From the day we met, I knew she was the girl of my dreams, only I did not let her know for many months later. Eventually, we got engaged and from that time on, she began working in the office, first as my dental assistant and then as TMJ-Orthodontic assistant. Now, 34 years later she is the CFO of the practice and runs The Healing Rooms At Sugar Hill.


Now you know how I met my wife Sheila and how I named my first born. But you don't know about Tyler, my second son. He is the founder of Refine Media, a social media marketing firm, and lives in Johns Creek, GA. He sings lead in a country music band, leads a Bible study and happens to have been named at the Steak & Ale on LaVista Road in Tucker, GA during a Cullowhee concert. No, there are no Tylers in that band, but we were sitting at the table going over names at the restuarant. , once we picked Tyler and got to the point of having deciding upon the full name, Tyler Harrison (after his mom's last name) Williams we knew HE KNEW it was time...because he was born that next day! Tyler played football at North Gwinnett High School and graduated from Providence High School where he followed in his brothers fine footsteps as was their star soccer goalie. He got his college degree from the University of Georgia. Both of our sons have made many trips to Africa with our Kenya Medical Outreach and Tyler is leading a group of young men from Providence H.S. to Kenya this summer on another mission trip.

Now you know the background on what inspires my smiles...my three stars, Sheila, Justin and Tyler. I'm very proud of each of them.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Dr. Bill! Harry and I are celebrating our 20th this month. We should be so lucky to make it as far as you and Sheila have! Thank you for sharing your life and gifts to those near and far. We are very blessed to have you for our dentist and our friend.
    Patti Heaton

    ReplyDelete